Spring Garden Update: Week 11
I picked two zucchini and two yellow squash this week. The large leaves on each of the plants are starting to turn yellow. There is one flower on the zucchini and none on the yellow squash. I think they are getting to the end of their life span. If they do not start flowering again, I may rip them out in a week or two to give the tomatoes some breathing room.
Speaking of the tomatoes, our first Brandywine is almost ripe! It is a squat wide red tomatoe and I cannot wait to pick it. I am curious to see what it taste like, since I have never grown this variety before. It should be ready either Tuesday or Wednesday.
Our first Black Prince also ripened today. It was shaped like a plum and had an interesting orange/brown color. I showed it to Becky. She said it looked evil, so I slice it up and made her eat a slice. It had a very rich tomato flavor with a hint of sweetness. Our plant is loaded with fruit and we should be enjoying many more in the next few weeks.
Garden Yield Tracker – This Past Week
- Zucchini (2) approximately 2 lbs
- Yellow squash (2) approximately 1 lb
- Green tomatoes (3) approximately 1 lb
Garden Yield Tracker – Total
- Zucchini (8) approximately 8 lbs
- Yellow squash (5) approximately 2 1/2 lbs
- Green Tomatoes (30) approximately 4 lbs
- Better Boy Tomatoes (2) approximately 3/4 lb