Racking My Brown Ale to the Clarifying Tank
My brown ale had been sitting in the primary fermenter for about nine days and I wanted to rack it to the clarifying tank before this weekend as I will not have time with my grandparents coming into town. The carboy had been cleaning overnight with a mixture of PBW and water and after I emptied it out I sanitized it along with my racking cane, flexible tubing, air lock and rubber stopper.
Tonight I used Star San for the first time to sanitize all of my equipment. I usually use iodine and the Star San produced a lot of foam. Even after I rinsed out my carboy there was still some suds left behind so I rinsed it out with some tap water. I think that it will be okay as I have rinsed items with our tap water with no ill effects.
Once everything was sanitized I pried open my brew bucket and noted there was a nice ring of krauzen around the top of the bucket. I then put the racking cane into the bucket, attached the flexible tubing and allowed the sanitizing solution to run into an empty pan. I then moved the tubing into the carboy and allowed gravity to move the beer from the brew bucket.
As things were winding down I filled my hydrometer tube with some brown ale in order to take a reading. The original gravity after temperature correction was 1.055 and tonight’s reading after temperature correction was 1.020. I was on the upper limits of the OG for the style and it looks like I am on the upper limits for the style with my FG.
Not wanting to let the young beer I used to measure the FG go to waste I sampled it. Even though it is very young, only 10 days old, it taste really good. I am really looking forward to bottling the brown ale in about two weeks.